Ian: I find many of your comments related to how the Go team functions very
interesting,
I for one would find it helpful if 2 or 3 times a year the Go Team would
communicate to the Go community at large, information related  to where and
in what direction(s) it is taking Go, and what directions the team has
decided NOT to take Go .

I think the idea of a relatively small team of people deciding what Go will
/ will not morf into, is a sound one considering the what goes on within
the C++ world,

I also think it important that the Go team utilize some mechanism for
screening input from the Go user community regarding changes / enhancements
to the language, new packages etc.

An important measure of Go's value as a useful language is measured by the
size of Go user community, which in my opinion is very much related what Go
offers developers to make their life easier vs other languages.