>> Go will loose its uniqueness and values, will never become a next big
>thing. No cross platform GUI, no Android, and browsers (GopherJS is
>more dead than alive, WASM idk) is also a big question. It will be a
>"bad copy" of Java or other mature languages (with better and more
>powerful generics and lots of other built-in capabilities), niche tool
>for cli, devops and microservices (until the fashion will turn into
>monoliths or whatever this spiral thing brings up again). Now think
>where all your investments in language skills be in next few years.
>
>All of those things could certainly come to pass.
>
>However, I'm very skeptical that adding generics to the language will
>cause them to come to pass.
>
>And, fortunately, even with generics I believe that Go will remain
>significantly simpler than languages like Java or C++, with a
>correspondingly smaller investment in language skills.

I do have one concern this touches on wrt tinygo. I do not know what googles
stance is in regard to go on microchips but they seem to be supporting it
financially. When raised before, it was stated that it had not been considered
or discussed with the relevant parties. Java had the original aim of running
everywhere, it failed on micros. Go could accomplish that aim

My concern (an uneducated concern) is that considering a micro running
currently compatible parts of the stdlib with gc set to none and using global
variables for reliable memory consumption. *Might* Generics adoption within the
stdlib make more of it unusable (assuming generics poses a problem, it might
not). I assume that it would not affect wasm.

This in itself is not a game stopper as I believe go is a useful language
without gc or the stdlib. I do think that micros are important enough to be
considered, however. Perhaps not important enough in the footprint of google
services but maybe those that need Generics.

If I recall correctly. I may have raised it on the tinygo slack and the
response was that nothing looked too problematic from what had been seen.

In any case, it might be worth the go team understanding what does and doesn't
cause problems for tinygo?