On Mon, Dec 7, 2009 at 5:42 AM, SCMSoft <scms...@gmail.com> wrote:
> We always used to have ~100ms api cpu_ms, but cpu_ms used to be more
> like 50ms or so. We added logging on the time of entry and exit of
> doGet() and there was 58 ms difference in this case. How is it
> possible to have 210cpu_ms, which is ~100ms more than the api usage,
> while the request only lasted 58 ms (or 76 ms according to the
> appengine number)?

I cannot tell you why your CPU time seems to have increased, but know
that cpu_ms and api_cpu_ms are not using wall-clock milliseconds, but
"virtual" milliseconds, defined for the purpose of billing. They more
or less correspond to milliseconds on an old-ish machine (some kind of
Intel 1.2GHz, IIRC) -- and they depend on the type of request. They
are essentially an abstract unit. The app engine documentation gives
more detail:

http://code.google.com/appengine/docs/quotas.html

Google might have been better inspired to not label this unit
"millisecond". "Disney dollars" are meant to confuse you -- that might
not have been a good example to follow.

P.S. Turns out, Disney dollars are convertible and pegged to the USD.
Linden dollars, then.