Objectify runs fairly close to the datastore (ie if you understand the
datastore, you won't be irritated by high-level abstractions) and it's
dead-easy to take advantage of caching. I wouldn't even think about it,
personally - I'd just use Objectify. For you, it's a small investment to
try it out and you can always move to the low-level API without too much
hassle.

There is likely to be some change between v3 and v4, so keep an eye on
that. You could always just continue to use v3 if you don't want to upgrade.

Regards,
Richard