Hi Eric,

Have you looked at Amazon's Simple Email Service (SES)?

http://aws.amazon.com/ses/

Pretty much the same cost as sending email using GAE, except with SES you
only get 2,000 free emails if you're sending email from an EC2 instance.

I haven't used it myself but apparently they scan outgoing mail to make sure
it meets "ISP standards". This leads me to believe emails sent via SES would
be less likely to be automatically marked as spam than on GAE, since SES's
spam-sending-reputation would be lower than GAE's, due to their
pre-filtering and rate-limiting.

Nick