I'm running into a similar issue.  I think the only reason the example
worked for you on Linux is because the build.sh is specifically pulling
down version 1.3.2 of the oauth2client from github. I have tried using the
latest earthengine-api available from pip, and the latest google-app-engine
SDK and google-cloud-sdk and the problem is there as well.

>From what I can tell, the earth-engine _helpers.py is using the old method
and needs to be updated to use the new ServiceAccountCredentials method.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/google-appengine/9d80692f-b2bd-4b1f-9dfd-5377f81c35c9%40googlegroups.com.