Not really on topic, but as some sane and simplifying advice - It's best to
move away from IDE's like Eclipse

Their purpose is to simplify development, but from your experiences too,
it's clear that they don't deliver on their promises, and complicate things
instead

I'd suggest you to write the code with whatever IDE you prefer, then use
the command line tools separately in a serene manner

My personal choice is the App Engine Python SDK for Linux, even though I'm
on macOS (it includes pure code, no installer, just pure python code,
granted things are usually more complicated for Java, but the same
experience might apply) - You might give it a try, and if it doesn't work,
you can always go back to Eclipse

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/google-appengine/c23a7055-953c-49bc-92cc-077264ca2e00%40googlegroups.com.