Hi,

We've been asked this or similar questions many times. The short answer is
that the trade-off between complexity of the system (not our code, but the
specifications of the system) and the benefits are small enough not to do
it. If you believe that submitting a small-only solution first gives you a
strategic advantage, you are welcome to do so, at the relatively cheap
prize of 4 minutes of penalty. It makes sense to us that someone who can
write a full solution directly instead of going through the intermediate
step of a small-only solution receives a small advantage.

The judging and scoring mechanism is already sufficiently complicated that
we get a good number of questions about it. It would only make sense to
make it more complicated if the benefits were great. Saving 4 minutes of
penalty in some cases to some subset of people doesn't seem like such a
large benefit.

I would like to reiterate that this is not about the complexity of our code
executing the specification, but complexity of the specification itself.
Being able to explain things clearly and briefly is super important, and
even though for some people this may look like a small change, for others
is one more barrier to understand the contest as a whole.

Best,
Pablo