On Monday, April 16, 2018 at 11:37:49 PM UTC+4, Pablo Heiber wrote:
> Hi,
>

> We've been asked this or similar questions many times. The short answer is
> that the trade-off between complexity of the system (not our code, but the
> specifications of the system) and the benefits are small enough not to do it.
> If you believe that submitting a small-only solution first gives you a
> strategic advantage, you are welcome to do so, at the relatively cheap prize
> of 4 minutes of penalty. It makes sense to us that someone who can write a
> full solution directly instead of going through the intermediate step of a
> small-only solution receives a small advantage.
>

> The judging and scoring mechanism is already sufficiently complicated that we
> get a good number of questions about it. It would only make sense to make it
> more complicated if the benefits were great. Saving 4 minutes of penalty in
> some cases to some subset of people doesn't seem like such a large benefit.
>

> I would like to reiterate that this is not about the complexity of our code
> executing the specification, but complexity of the specification itself.
> Being able to explain things clearly and briefly is super important, and even
> though for some people this may look like a small change, for others is one
> more barrier to understand the contest as a whole.
>

> Best,
> Pablo
>

> On Fri, Apr 13, 2018 at 11:57 AM taranpreetsinghchhabra
> <taranpreets...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello
>

> This is a request thread.
>

> I would like to request admins to allow us separate options for submitting
> for small and large differently, just like in old system, because if we
> develop a solution for small first and submit and later on make solution for
> large, we have to incur a penalty.
>

> The benefit of different submit would be for both users as well as the judge.
> Many times people know that their solution is intended for small only, So, if
> we have different submit options, judge can be relieved for running the same
> solution for large data sets.
>

> Also, if a user intend to submit large later on, He too will be saved from
> minute penalty, as well as judge will not have to judge small data set again,
> which helps to reduce overload.
>

> Concluding, The system i recommend (request), is the one same as old
> platform, with the change of uploading source code instead of working with
> test files, with same penalty system as earlier.
>

> I know this might involve the amount of work i can't even imagine, but surely
> This system is worth a thought. So i shared my opinion. Rest, as always, will
> be your choice.
>

> Regards
>

> --

> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/google-code/43cc6498-603a-4b67-b9e5-9eae5825ef71%40googlegroups.com.

Hey Pablo,

you mentioned "complexity of the specification itself", I assume you mean
difficulty to use/understand it for user, it seems current specification is
extremely complex already and suggestion above will make it simpler.

I can give you an example: you submit a solution, it passes test1, will be
judged on test2, you find a bug (test2 will be judged wrong), you resubmit, now
questions: will you get penalty time if it will be again wrong on test2 ?  will
you get penalty time if it will be wrong on test1 ? will you get scores for
test1 if it will be wrong on test1 ?