If you always want to use h2, you could just simply build the string using
https://docs.oracle.com/javase/8/docs/api/java/lang/System.html#getenv--?

If you wanted to inject different JPA providers, you could certainly use
Guice for that (since you posted here) - I have a HibernateSessionFactory
that provides a session per request like this:

@Provides
@RequestScoped
private Session provideSession() {

And then for my jUnit tests I have:

@Provides
@Singleton
private Session provideSession() {

in a

public class TestGuiceModule extends AbstractModule

Would that fit your use case?

Cheers,

-S-

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/google-guice/6e5d4d2f-5f5c-430b-93ef-aca089efb688%40googlegroups.com.