Good questions/suggestsion...

The XML approach is very much going backwards in my opinion - it
reminds me of all the legacy web-frameworks - that i have been using
for the last 10 years.  Essentially language constructs like "for
loops" and "if/else" are going to have some funky syntax in XML along
with funky binding expressions to Java fields.  All this to
accommodate HTML elements like <div> and <span>?  These concepts
should be abstracted in my opinion.  GWT won't be able to mask browser
differences of HTML elements effectively with this approach either.

I agree - JavaFx like syntax would have been perfect - otherwise Java
is just fine - the kind of Java/OO things I am doing now with GWT is
just not going to be possible with XML.  I wish all that energy on
UIBinder would have been spent on better Java API and Widgets.