Yesterday my test was run with success and last night it failed again,
without anything changing in the meantime :(

I was digging a bit more in the GWT Junit test code and I think the
test fails because I don't use a servlet that is hosted by the Tomcat
container started by GWT.
Like Freeland mentions above, I have to contact the backend within 60
sec to overcome the timeout exception. I think I have to contact a
servlet run in the GWT Tomcat instance as otherwise it's not seen as a
backend contact.
Is this the true ?

In my case, because I run in noserver mode, I run my own tomcat
standalone server and use a proxy servlet that extends from
GWTShellServlet to forward any business/servlet calls to my standalone
server. So I never use any servlet in the GWT tomcat instance and as
such receive a timeout exception when my tests don't run fast enough,
which is what sometimes happens....

Please feedback on this and how I can solve this ?
The only option I see now is: disable my GWT test cases as the current
sometimes-failures is unacceptable on the build machine :(
I have no idea how to solve it otherwise...