On 2012/09/17 20:43:56, tbroyer wrote:
Do you think it would be possible to share the BUILD file(s), or a
stripped-down
version of it, even privately?

There's a high-level overview here:
http://google-engtools.blogspot.com/2011/08/build-in-cloud-how-build-system-works.html

It doesn't explain the GWT-specific rules, but conceptually they're not
that different from the cc_library rules, or a Makefile for that matter.
Since you name the files you want to include (often using globs),
anything not named isn't a build dependency, so the compiler won't see
it and changes don't force a recompile. We normally have separate build
rules for each GWT module and apps can declare what they use.

is it wise to make such a change now?

I'm not suggesting doing the larger changes any time soon. As I said,
this is an experiment.

But I'm wary of using remapping to make open source and internal
directory structures look different. I think it will make things like
applying patches more complicated; we won't be able to just use the
"patch" command.

It seems like we should be able to find a compromise that lets us keep
the directory structures identical, and that's one less thing for
maintainers to worry about. I know ant is very flexible when it comes to
directory structure; can Maven be configured as well?

http://gwt-code-reviews.appspot.com/1834803/