Hello, GWT people.

<rant>

GWT got its popularity because it allowed DevMode in the browser (run java
in VM in browser, manipulate DOM, use your IDE!). In fact, the GWT project
appeared as clever hack on hack on hack to stretch limits of possible, to
be ahead of its time, and that was cool. Nobody did that before. Now GWT
turns into much like... i don't know, more like typescript compiler. No,
really, with announcements like those "Let’s examine
<http://blog.lteconsulting.fr/gwt/2016/2016/04/10/gwt-2016-en.html> the
parts of GWT doomed to extinction: generators, Widgets, GWT-RPC, UiBinder …"
it's
just another typescript. Typescript also looks like Java! Its transpiler is
and will always be faster than GWT. There's no reason for GWT to be
anymore. And there's no GWT events, reddit comments on its announcement are
like
<https://www.reddit.com/r/programming/comments/593c3w/gwt_280_released/d95k7go/>

"oh, it's still alive?".

So while GWT is essentially already dead for me with removal of DevMode (I
understand this removal happens because of browsers architectural changes,
not because the idea failed), I still think about various workarounds.

</rant>

I remember, in GWT 1.0 special mozilla-based internal browser was shipped
with GWT. It was long before GWT DevMode plugins for all browsers. And
nobody thought it's bad option, although it didn't support SVG which was
already in firefox, canvas, etc. It was the way to go. IT WAS the cool part.

With removal of NPAPI and devmode plugins, maybe it would be feasible to
take chromium, maintain one (1) patchset that allows it to run alongside
with JVM (maybe even same process!) on all platforms, allowing DevMode via
direct calls, and distribute it on manner they do it with dartium?
gwtromium?

You ask "what about other browsers"? You don't need other browsers. Citing
same source: "modern browsers are now more standard and compatible
<http://blog.lteconsulting.fr/gwt/2016/2016/04/10/gwt-2016-en.html>, and we
no longer need to have the homogenization layer that GWT gives", and this
is in fact true. For other browsers, use SuperDevMode, it's useful enough
to catch browser-related issues. But main program logic should be allowed
to be developed (and debugged!) in Java. Because GWT is... Java.

By introducing more strong ties and even sharing process with JVM it would
be possible to speed up roundtrips java<->browser due to absence of TCP
connection and serialization, so it will be even noticeably faster than
before.

So, does this idea make sense? <rant>Or javascript-transmitted disease
finally won?</rant>

Thanks.