Hi Sanny,

Thanks for your message !

I agree with Jens, once you accept and understand the new SDM+sourcemaps
workflow, the thing is really powerful, yet of course different than the
experience with DevMode.

It's even easier to find browsers specific bugs since the code is executed
in the javascript vm hence it is very very close to the production code
flow, whereas with the DevMode there were cases you could not reproduce
because the code was running in the JVM...

I think you also should understand that sourcemaps is not restricted to
GWT. So any progress made on sourcemaps support in chrome (or other
browsers) will benefit not only gwt but all languages transpiled to JS or
CSS. Maybe one day we get live variable inspection through SourceMap and
this will be a big win for everyone !

Also one disclaimer as you are citing my article on GWT : I am not part of
the GWT team (sure I'd love to of course ;)) and the opinions and
statements in this article may be false - although of course I try not to
say silly or false things in my articles... Anyway, my article is not at
all the official GWT's voice...

Just one more point, when the GWT team first announced the death of
DevMode, I had the same reaction as you, but then having practiced the new
workflow I changed my mind and now find it better on some aspects.

About DevMode performance, the OS uses IPC & memory sharing when doing
network on the localhost loopback, so the TCP connection shoud have
practically no impact on the performance.

About conferences and events, the last GWT event was GWTCon in Firenze,
Italy which happened on 2016 November. Some talks were given by Daniel
Kurka member of the GWT team, so was not an "official" google event but had
all the taste of it ;) I hope the videos will soon be uploaded to youtube.

I recently worked for a customer with 60+ developpers working on a very big
GWT project, and I helped them migrating to the 2.8 version and optimize
their code base for a faster compilation. I was kind of scary that they
would emotionnaly refuse the new workflow with SDM+sourcemaps but it turned
out they were very happy with it and gained a better productivity. So to
me, that's really something to try...

About the "javascript-transmitted desease", for myself I don't perceive
things like that. I love GWT, and I love Typescript, and I also love
Javascript. All those are languages and tools that I choose depending on
the context. The two worlds (Java and Javascript) have a lot to share and
should not be - I think - always opposed one to the other. In the past I
used to code a lot in C, C++ and x86_64 ASM but things have changed... Is
that better or worse ? I don't know, it's different... and also the same !
Java will be dead one day, and Javascript will also be dead one day, that's
just how it goes, nothing lasts forever.

Peace,

Thanks

Arnaud Tournier