Update on the broken samples in the gwt distribution:

The issue is some kind of interaction between Java 8 and ant - when a URL
is read from the classloader for a directory within a jar, it had a
trailing slash. When running the GWT webappcreator from command line, this
didn't happen, when running within ant in Java 7 this didn't happen.

The patch is up as https://gwt-review.googlesource.com/c/gwt/+/22320.

An alternative fix could be to normalize those paths inside the
WebAppCreator and remove trailing slashes - we experimented with that at
first, but once we discovered that it was ant's classloader which was
causing this and _not_ just Java 8, it made more sense to fork the task.
This also brings the WebAppCreator task in line with all other <java> tasks
in the ant build.