This is absolutely true, but we are not talking about day to day GWT
development, we are talking about extraordinary circumstances where
some amount of optimization is needed.

Under every normal circumstance you would simply develop using
widgets, but that becomes impossible if some use case says you need to
fill a 100,000 cell grid all at once. That sort of thing puts you into
a position where normal GWT development techniques just aren't able to
do the job.

If you are simply displaying (read only) data, there may be no reason
to add all the overhead of a heavyweight object like a widget, and
straight html may be the better option.

-jason