> t.addItem("abc");
> t.addItem("def");
> RootPanel.get().add(t);
>
> will have fewer reflows than
>
> tree t = new tree()
> RootPanel.get().add(t)
> t.addItem("abc")
> t.addItem("def")
>
> According to you (at least from what you've said so far) is that the 1st
> snippet will cause 1 DOM reflow whereas the below snippet will cause 2,
> which isn't actually the case AFAIK.  Both will only cause 1 & will be
> equally fast.

I think you are both right, depending on the browser you are in.

FF2 (IIRC) will rerender during a sequence where most other browsers won't.
I don't know when it decides to do that, but most other browsers would be
still displaying your splash screen while FF2 has hidden it and has stuff
dancing about on the screen.

OTOH, if you widget is not attached and you are setting percentage heights
and widths, for example, they will fail.

Ian

http://examples.roughian.com