I dunno about that one two fronts:

1)  All the same DOM elements still have to be created.  This would only
help if you have such a slow JS engine in your browser that running the DOM
manipulations in Javascript is so slow that it outweighs the cost of
actually performing the manipulations (which I believe would always be done
in native code anyways)

2)  You're transmitting more data across the pipe - the extra markup is
unnecessary data & can bloat your transfer by quite a bit, slowing down your
responsiveness.

3)  It's not scalable.  Your moving rendering code from the client to the
server which places more load on the server.  Performing string
concatenations also isn't cheap (unless you build your own string class that
offers fast concatenation through pointers to strings & perform all the
stream output yourself).  Obviously if the number of users is limited you
don't care.

So all 3 reasons together (mainly 1 & 2 though), I don't see how that would
help.  Obviously some hard numbers are needed as all this is just hand
waving guesses of expected behaviour.