If you have any influence over the choice of browser, IE7 should no
longer be used.

But the basic problem is simply the quality of the JavaScript engines
in the various browsers.  To see this, go to this page in IE7, IE8,
Chrome, and Firefox and compare the results:

http://webkit.org/perf/sunspider/sunspider.html
http://webkit.org/perf/sunspider-0.9.1/sunspider-0.9.1/driver.html

If your application runs a lot of client-side (JavaScript) code, then
the performance on any given browser will be a factor of the speed of
that browser's JavaScript engine.  In my most recent testing on
Windows XP, that boils down to:

Assign a relative speed of 1X to Chrome and Opera; they are
comparable.
Firefox 3.6.13 is about 3X.
IE8 is about 21X.