Are you using
PlaceTokenizer<http://google-web-toolkit.googlecode.com/svn/javadoc/latest/index.html?com/google/gwt/core/client/GWT.html>?

If yes, they you can achieve what you are looking for using that.

>> One idea I can see is to make the place token the entire argument
list.  So, in the above case it would look like:
title=xxx&author=yyy&publisher=zzz.  Then I could parse each arg (are
there any tools in GWT to help with this?).

This is the way to go!

>> Another idea would be to create a separate token for each argument.
The place class may look like this

This is not supported, as GWT by default will consider the entire arg list
as a single token only. i.e anything after the '#' in the url. Still you can
have the constructor

>> public class BookSearchPlace extends Place
{
public BookSearchPlace ( String title, String author, String
publisher )

as such they are not related.