Most modern browsers are pretty consistent with CSS2 and even CSS3. There are
still some differences, but in a few instances where I ran into them, GWT could
not help me. Sometimes you have to specify -moz or -webkit specific rules in
your CSS file. In some situations (e.g. vertical-align in Firefox vs Chrome)
the result is a few pixels off, but only a very good UI designer would even
notice. I bet in most of the discussions that you read on CSS issues, people
are talking about older versions of IE and Firefox 3.

There are many great GWT widgets that insulate you from major browser issues,
especially LayoutPanel, PopupPanel, DialogBox, DataGrid. But it's too expensive
to try and figure out solutions for minor issues, so they still remain.

If fact, I think that trying to be fully cross-browser hurts GWT. GWT's popup
panel is a table where every rounded corner is its own cell, even though all
modern browsers support border-radius rules. I would love to see GWT drop
support for IE