> the only empty DIV I see is the label, and it's empty because the label
> does not contain text.

Right, and that's why it has zero height as you observed.

> Do you agree to the statement posted in this thread that the GWT's layout
> panels should be used for the overall page layout (defining the main areas
> of a page) and that the small layouts (widgets and so on) should be
> positioned with CSS?

Generally, yes. Granted, the absolute positioning scheme isn't appropriate
for every use case, but if your entire application is GWT-based, then
that's the way to go.

> Maybe you misunderstood my posting: I also said that GWT compiles to HTML
> and CSS. But it produces different compilations for different browsers. In
> contrast, everything you put directly into the element attributes will
> go unchanged into the client.

The different compilations exist to produce mostly-uniform behavior across
browsers, but only to a certain extent. It is generally not possible to
avoid having to write your own CSS and deal with the browser-specific
quirks that come with it.

> However, even Google states that in strict mode many panels do not work as
> expected, e. g. HorizontalPanel, which should be replaced by a FlowPanel
> where all children should float to the left (which does'nt work in some
> cases).

This is a difference in expectations. In this case, the FlowPanel approach
is not a drop-in substitute; it does work if you ensure that the FlowPanel
is wide enough to prevent wrapping of the children (and that the children
are statically positioned, etc.). For HorizontalPanel specifically, there
shouldn't be any reason why it wouldn't work properly in strict mode,
though using tables for layout has been frowned upon in the web development
world for quite some time now (whether that's justified is a whole
different story).

> The goal was "predictive layout", but it seems to be more like "trial and
> error", at least in some cases.

While I wouldn't necessarily consider it "trial and error," using CSS
effectively certainly has a steep learning curve. Again, the "issue" is
that GWT is a leaky abstraction - you still need to know how CSS works (and
in some cases, what markup is being generated by GWT). If you have the
necessary knowledge CSS knowledge, then the layout *is* predictable.

-Abraham