Dan Kegel wrote:
Jeff Breidenbach wrote:

Running a serious spam filter on incoming mail is too computationally
expensive (there is a lot of mail!) but it is an otherwise good
suggestion. Unfortunately I know from my own inbox that a lot of spam
these days is specifically designed to get around spam
filters.

This seems like a fairly important problem, and one which
could possibly make intelligent use of donated cpu cycles
in a distributed fashion.

Potentially, you could even have volunteers to watch
over the spam filter and help train it...

Personally, I use Mozilla's build-in bayesian anti-spam filters to filter out spam. Given a decent number of spam and non-spam messages for learning, they produce fairly good results.

So I have a personal smap collectin of about 25.000 letters (150 Mb) and growing, which can be used for such training. Also, there are stand-alone bayesian filters implementations (can't provide exact URLs not but I believe it's quite easy to find it).

--
== kir_at_asplinux.ru == 7551596_at_ICQ == 6722750_at_sms.beemail.ru ==
There are two ways of constructing a software design.  One way is to make