Hi Marc,

But the limitation on GPFS replication is that I can set replication separately
for metadata and data, but no matter whether I have one data pool or ten data
pools they all must have the same replication, correct?

And believe me I *love* GPFS replication … I would hope / imagine that I am one
of the few people on this mailing list who has actually gotten to experience a
“fire scenario” … electrical fire, chemical suppressant did it’s thing, and
everything in the data center had a nice layer of soot, ash, and chemical
suppressant on and in it and therefore had to be professionally cleaned.
Insurance bought us enough disk space that we could (temporarily) turn on GPFS
data replication and clean storage arrays one at a time!

But in my current hypothetical scenario I’m stretching the budget just to get
that one storage array with 12 x 1.8 TB SSD’s in it.  Two are out of the
question.

My current metadata that I’ve got on SSDs is on RAID 1 mirrors and has GPFS
replication set to 2.  I thought the multiple RAID 1 mirrors approach was the
way to go for SSDs for data as well, as opposed to one big RAID 6 LUN, but
wanted to get the advice of those more knowledgeable than me.

Thanks!

Kevin

On Apr 19, 2017, at 3:49 PM, Marc A Kaplan