About five years ago (I think) Apple slipped a volume manager[1] in on the
unsuspecting. :) If you have a Mac, you might have noticed that the mount
type/pattern changed with Lion. CoreStorage was the beginning of building the
infrastructure to change a million(?) Macs and several hundred million iPhones
and iPads under the users’ noses. :)

Has anyone seen list of the features that would require the on-disk upgrade? If
there isn’t one yet, I think that the biggest failing is not not publishing it
— the natives are restless and it’s not like IBM wouldn’t know...

[1] This is what Apple calls it. If you’ve ever used AIX or Linux you’ll just
chuckle when you look at the limitations.

--
Stephen