> I am really not sure what the issue with the code path for this as it
> is 35 lines of C including comments to get the fileset if one exists
> for a given path on a GPFS file system. You open a random file on the
> path, call gpfs_fcntl and then gpfs_getfilesetid. It's then a simple
> call to gpfs_quotactl.

The main problem is that the API requires opening a file to query the fileset id,
which in turn conflicts with sharemodes and can break oplocks. It also incurs
the additional overhead of four calls. Due to another limitation, this is done
for every I/O call in the worst case. The workaround for not opening the file
would be to determine the directory holding the file and opening that. This
is complicated, but still has the overhead of the additional calls.

The short-answer to all of that is that from a Samba perspective,
--filesetdf is the better option to determine the fileset quota.

The API calls to query for user and group quota simply take a path, so they
don't have the same complications as the query for the fileset quota.

Regards,

Christof Schmitt || IBM || Spectrum Scale Development || Tucson, AZ
christof.schm...@us.ibm.com  ||  +1-520-799-2469    (T/L: 321-2469)