On Sun, Oct 3, 2010 at 17:22, Dustin Eward <emptythemagaz...@gmail.com> wrote:
> It is a Phoenix BIOS, which I see no modification method for in the wiki.
> It's a Dell e521 machine, which is deceptively not Dell-ified. They even

Dell Dimension E521?  On the US support site, I see 1.1.11 (released
on 2007-09-04) is the latest.  I don't see anything in the notes for
this machine but sometimes they update the PXE code without any notes.

> left the "Phoenix BIOS" boot-up identifier. It shows for only a split
> second, but I could probably figure out the REAL motherboard MFR and
> part/model number if I rebooted a lot...  I'll have to get back to you
> because I can't do that right this moment.

I've seen a few systems in the last 2+ years that do this (showing
signs of the underlying BIOS) but not many.

> I should add, by 'works flawlessly," I mean it identifies the NIC and pulls
> DHCP.  The rest, well....
>
> I've got a few PCI and a PCIe Ethernet Adapters on the way... 2 are Intel,
> one is a super cheap generic. I was trying to avoid spending $85 just to
> experiment, but I got impatient.

>From what I've seen, I have the impression that Intel has generally
been very good for both PXE and Linux.

--