On Sun, Oct 3, 2010 at 18:01, Dustin Eward <emptythemagaz...@gmail.com> wrote:

>> Dell Dimension E521?  On the US support site, I see 1.1.11 (released
>> on 2007-09-04) is the latest.  I don't see anything in the notes for
>> this machine but sometimes they update the PXE code without any notes.
>
> I am using the version, the PXE in it is 100% fail.
>
>> > left the "Phoenix BIOS" boot-up identifier. It shows for only a split
>> > second, but I could probably figure out the REAL motherboard MFR and
>> > part/model number if I rebooted a lot...  I'll have to get back to you
>> > because I can't do that right this moment.
>>
>> I've seen a few systems in the last 2+ years that do this (showing
>> signs of the underlying BIOS) but not many.
>
> Yeah, and DELL missing that one... They usually go out of their way to
> hide/cripple everything.  It was one of their rare AMD machines from a few
> years ago, I'm guessing they just weren't putting much effort into it.
>
>> > experiment, but I got impatient.
>>
>> From what I've seen, I have the impression that Intel has generally
>> been very good for both PXE and Linux.
>
> I got that impression, so I spent the money instead of continuing to hammer
> on this embedded BCM4401. The gPXE b44 .usb image off of ROM-o-Matic doesn't
> even recognize it. Neitehr do the UNDI/UNDIONLY. But, the 'all drivers'
> loads the UNDI and it pulls DHCP.......  Meh, bought the Intel cards.

I have a Dell laptop with a BCM4401 LoM (14e4:170c 1028:0188).  It's
an Inspiron 6000 with an Intel Pentium M running BIOS A09 (2005-09-28;
latest).  This machine appears to be fine with a PXE boot (at least
with PXELINUX).

This is the versioning information I was looking for off of yours:

Broadcom UNDI, PE-2.1 (build 082) v2.0.4
Copyright (C) 2000-2003 Broadcom Corporation
Copyright (C) 1997-2000 Intel Corporation
All rights reserved.

Intel Base-Code, PXE-2.1 (build 082j)
Copyright (C) 1997-2000 Intel Corporation

--
-Gene