Hi all,

2013/10/6 Martin Landa <landa.mar...@gmail.com>:

> First of all, thanks Vaclav that he found time to take a look at this
> issue. His time is limited (as for all of us), the solution is not
> perfect, but it's anyway step towards. After r57911 we are in the same
> situation. Python scripts called from Python code do not work again!
> It's very serious issue, yes, it's a blocker.
>
> @Glynn: please revert your revert or find a time to implement better solution.

[...]

> What means "solve everything", could you elaborate a little bit? So
> it's better to have broken functionality on Windows for many months?
> It will probably not change within next weeks/months. Good to know,
> it's a nice policy ;-)

Unfortunately nothing really changed as I noted 3 months ago. I am
using GRASS 7 at the university for teaching GIS and remote sensing.
During winter semester students started to report bugs related to this
issue. I was thinking how I can explain them why it's still broken or
better to say we are still keeping it broken. My patience is now at an
end, students couldn't simply solved final tasks to finish the course.

There are many places where a python script is called from a python
code (eg. `g.extension` from wxGUI wrapper, `r.mask` in different
python scripts or `v.db.addtable` in `g.gui.iclass` when exporting
training areas). Many more functionality is simply not working on
Windows.

I hoped that I will be not forced to do that, anyway the daily builds
of G7 [1] now contains Vaclav's workaround introduced in r57910. I
expect that such commit would be immediately reverted without
providing any better solution (as in October). Keep it simply broken
we don't care about our software whether is functional. It's our
message to the users which I was not able to say to the students. I
want to attract them to use open source and not to disgust them.

Martin

[1] http://wingrass.fsv.cvut.cz/grass70/