Moritz Lennert wrote
> On 21/01/14 16:34, Glynn Clements wrote:
>>
>> Moritz Lennert wrote:
>>
>>> Another option would be to do what Glynn has been proposing all along
>>> (IIUC), which is to not install Python with Wingrass, but rather leave
>>> it up to the user to make sure a suitable Python is installed in the
>>> path.
>>
>> Actually, my preference would be to first check whether a suitable
>> Python installation already exists. If it doesn't, offer the user the
>> option of installing it (by "inatall", I mean download and execute the
>> appropriate MSI from python.org).
>>
>> That also means that additional packages (wxPython, NumPy) have to be
>> installed for the user's Python version, not some fixed version.
>>

> I have no idea what this means in terms of complexity of the installer,
> but I do imagine that this implies different approaches for the
> standalone installer and the osgeo4w installer, or ?

regarding complexity of the standalone installer, it would be doable at
least with some effort;
regarding osgeo4w it has to be tested.

Glynn Clements:

>Where it gets problematic is if the user already has a Python
>installation but it's not suitable for whatever reason. In the worst
>case they may be faced with a choice between using GRASS or using
>whatever the existing Python was installed for.

IMHO keeping in mind that many GIS-interested winGRASS-users may already
have been installed other (GIS-)software including a system-wide python
installation, that will be the demanding challenge to provide a suitable
solution ...

-----
best regards
Helmut