On Tue, Jun 27, 2017 at 9:08 AM, Moritz Lennert
<mlenn...@club.worldonline.be> wrote:
> On 26/06/17 20:37, Markus Neteler wrote:
> Sorry, Markus, but on my side, I'm just currently completely ignorant about
> translation procedures and issues in GRASS. I didn't even know we had a
> solution via transifex (which is great BTW !)...

NP, it was loosely discussed here and there in the list.

> With this ignorance in mind, I would say:
>
> - Activate the cron job. If it fails, we'll repair.

Yep - do-ocracy matters.

> - I don't know what the issue concerning empty translations is about.

The current (new) flow is [Luca, correct me if I am wrong]:

1. messages are extracted from the source code in trunk with the
common gettext mechanism (done by the transifex portal)
2. folks translate in the transifex portal
3. I or any other developer sometimes merges the translations back
using this script:
    grass-addons/tools/transifex_merge.sh
4. start from 1.

Issue:
- how to get messages intro relbranch72
- can step 3 be done with a cronjob? which frequency?

> - I don't know what the issue concerning the choice between msgmerge and
> transifex_merge.sh, and the backport, is about. I don't even know where to
> find these files.

In a nutshell (see previous discussions in the archive):
The transifex_merge.sh is based on a script I wrote long time back and
enhanced by Luca to deal with the transifex part.

> So, in short: if you want feedback on such issues from all of us a bit more
> explanation of the issues might be necessary.

Well, it has been discussion, but with too much time in between.
I just want to avoid to break stuff on the transifex portal.

> And from my ignorance a question: why don't we "just" move all translation
> to transifex and so avoid the need for merges between translations from
> different sources.

This is how it is! But of course we must feed our .po files in the
source code somehow.
How this clarifies it for you.

Markus