On 27/06/17 12:06, Markus Neteler wrote:
On Tue, Jun 27, 2017 at 9:08 AM, Moritz Lennert
<mlenn...@club.worldonline.be> wrote:
On 26/06/17 20:37, Markus Neteler wrote:
Sorry, Markus, but on my side, I'm just currently completely ignorant about
translation procedures and issues in GRASS. I didn't even know we had a
solution via transifex (which is great BTW !)...

NP, it was loosely discussed here and there in the list.

Must have missed it, sorry. I think some of the discussion went on in the translation list...

- I don't know what the issue concerning empty translations is about.

The current (new) flow is [Luca, correct me if I am wrong]:

1. messages are extracted from the source code in trunk with the
common gettext mechanism (done by the transifex portal)
2. folks translate in the transifex portal
3. I or any other developer sometimes merges the translations back
using this script:
    grass-addons/tools/transifex_merge.sh
4. start from 1.

Issue:
- how to get messages intro relbranch72

Does transifex allow comparison and merge between projects ? I.e. would it be possible to create a relbranch72 project that imports from trunk, except for those strings that are different between the two ?

- can step 3 be done with a cronjob? which frequency?

That obviously depends on its reliability, but as said, if you think that it +/- works maybe we should just take the risk and activate it. You should probably include a distinctive keyword in the svn message when comitting the merged files, so we can always reverse if necessary.

- I don't know what the issue concerning the choice between msgmerge and
transifex_merge.sh, and the backport, is about. I don't even know where to
find these files.

Sorry, my local grass-addons/tools directory was not up to date. That's why I didn't see the script.

Well, it has been discussion, but with too much time in between.
I just want to avoid to break stuff on the transifex portal.

How will the cron job risk breaking stuff in the portal ? I thought the it was just extracting from the portal and merging into svn ? Is there a risk of breakage when transifex then reads the po files from svn again ?

And from my ignorance a question: why don't we "just" move all translation
to transifex and so avoid the need for merges between translations from
different sources.

This is how it is! But of course we must feed our .po files in the
source code somehow.
How this clarifies it for you.

It does, somewhat, thank you !

How does QGIS handle this issue ?

And is the integration between github and transifex easier than between svn and transifex ? That would make the case for migration even stronger.

One thing I take from this is that once this is ready, we should make a big call for translation, announcing the possibility to use transifex and very easily translate a few messages online.

Moritz