Hi all,

"are the signature files saved to the current directory, or in a folder off of the current directory; then if you change directory before trying the next module it won't be able to find them?"

Whichever directory I'm working in, the signature files are always saved under the image subgroup. If the raster maps I am analyzing are in group "testi" and subgroup "alatesti", the signature files will be saved in a directory called "sig" under my subgroup "alatesti". That is, they will be in /paula/groups/testi/subgroups/alatesti/sig/

This is always true, no matter if I create the signatures with i.cluster, or r.digit & i.gensigset, or i.class. I've tried all these. And the rights to the signature file are always the same. i.maxlik can access the
signature files created with i.cluster and i.gensigset, just not the ones created with i.class.
And even if I work in that directory (groups/testi/subgroups/alatesti/sig), I still can't access the signature.

"can you recreate the error with the spearfish for new NC sample datasets? if so can you post all commands and messages from that process?"

I strongly suspect I will have the same problem even with the Spearfish data set, because it occurs no matter which data I am using. I will try it next, however. Thanks for the tip! The commands I'm using are just:

> i.class map=varikuva group=testi subgroup=alatesti outsig=signature

-Then there's the whole choosing and analyzing the test regions in the graphic window. When that's finished, I say:

>  i.maxlik group=testi subgroup=alatesti sigfile=signature class=resultmap

And I get the error message:

ERROR: Can't read signature file [signature].

Still, the signature file IS created, and I can see it sitting and lurking there. I just can't use it.

"try removing the @mapset part from the group names in the GUI window."

I am calling i.class from the command line, and then I'm calling i.maxlik from the command line as well. So, normally I don't open the GUI for this. If I do open the GUI window for the i.maxlik, and try from there, and make sure that the @mapset doesn't appear, I still get the same error message.

Thanks for the messages and the suggestions!

Paula