It's not r.mapcalc fault. I imagine it's probably a limitation due to
the number of bits in your image.  For instance, 8 bit images can have
up to 256 values. 16 bit images can have 65,535. So, if you have too
many values, you will have problems. Not sure how to avoid this in
your case but, maybe you will need to work with categories after all.
Are you planing on doing any math operations in the concatenated
values or is it more for displaying pourposes?

Cheers
Daniel

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Integer_(computer_science)