On Thu, 23 May 2013, Martin Lacayo wrote:

Have I understood correctly that a database can only contain one
projection, which is set when it is first created, and that besides
importing and exporting data all processing has to happen with data that
is in the database?

Martin,

  You seem to confuse database, location, and mapset. There is only one
database (here, it's in /home/rshepard/grassdata/) where everything is
stored.

  The database can contain multiple locations, each one with a specific
projection. For example, I have a number of projects in Washington state so
I have (among others) Washington-Counties/, Washington-HUC/,
Washington-Hydro/, Washington-LL/, Washington-NED/, and Washington-NHD/.

  Notice that Washington-LL is in long/lat; others might be in SPCS, UTM, or
whatever other projection is used by the data source.

  I also have project-specific locations. Each of these has a basic
PERMANENT/ map se and multiple other map sets that might have different
boundaries,
themes, and so on.

HTH,

Rich

--
Richard B. Shepard, Ph.D.          |      Have knowledge, will travel.
Applied Ecosystem Services, Inc.   |