Hello Paolo,

Yes, my initial thought was to just use GRASS via SEXTANTE. I tired to
do this, but did not have any luck. I posted previously on 14/5/2013
to qgis-users with the subject "How to run SEXTANTE algorithms outside
of QGIS Python console?" but did not get a solution to the problem I
encountered, which I thought was related to creating a QGIS instance
so that I could make calls to SEXTANTE. If you have any suggestions
that would be much appreciated.

Thank you,
Martin