Martin Lacayo wrote:

> I am having trouble getting started with GRASS Python scripts.

Note the following useful GRASS-Wiki pages:

- <http://grasswiki.osgeo.org/wiki/GRASS_and_Python>
- <http://grasswiki.osgeo.org/wiki/GRASS_Python_Scripting_Library>

> I am using GRASS 6.4 on Debian. Could some provide a basic example of a
> Python script that imports a raster and exports the same raster?

You mean importing in the GRASS GIS data base?  Like, you have created a
Location (no matter which way) and you want to use on of the r.in.* modules to
import data in a specific Location?

Or is it to load raster maps, already in a GRASS Location, into Python for
further processing?

> In particular I am interested in seeing the entire setup of a database
> (locally on disk), location, and mapset from start to finish.

> Every example I have found starts with an existing database, location, and
> mapset. I have been able to get past this part by using the GUI, but I
> need to be able to script their creation.

This section in GRASS-Wiki might be of your interest:
<http://grasswiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Working_with_GRASS_without_starting_it_explicitly#Python_example>.

Also, check this source:
<http://geoinformatics.fsv.cvut.cz/gwiki/On_scripting_GRASS_GIS:_Building_location-independent_command_line_tools#External_GRASS_Initialisation>

> Is it possible to script the creation of a database (locally on disk),
> location, and mapset?

So, yes it is.

Best, Nikos