On 13/03/18 09:30, Stefan Blumentrath wrote:
Hi Moritz,

(warming this post up again ...).

I see your point!
And I am aware, that dependencies might be changed in development versions.
QGIS has some nightly builds e.g. with ubuntugis dependencies.

Maybe snap could be useful? There does not seem to be a snap for GRASS yet:
https://snapcraft.io/search?q=grass

If you guys think this is of interest, I could have a look at it in Bonn (and
maybe join forces with QGIS project if the relevant people for the QGIS snap
[1,2] are in Bonn too).

I didn't know snap, but somehow, I have the feeling that with Docker, snap, etc we are going back to a world where each software package installs each of its dependencies separately, leading to the same library being installed multiple times on one machine. I guess cheap disk space and containerization makes this a bit less of a problem, but it still just does not feel right when you come from the beautiful world of coordinated packaging in Debian and others distros.

:-)

Moritz