On Thursday, 01 December 2016 at 09:45:56 am -0500, Innocent Smith wrote:
> Thank you. That sounds right.
>
> On Wednesday, 30 November 2016 at 01:48:04 pm -0500, Innocent Smith wrote:
> > I'm working on a project <https://cantusop.wordpress.com/> where I'm trying
> > to match the notation of the early Dominican chant manuscripts as closely
> > as possible.
> >
> > With this chant, I would like for the "plica" notes produced on Surge and
> > Excelso in the first line to have the left and right notes joined closer
> > together, but when I do this the left-tail extends too far. Can I control
> > that manually, or is it possible for the Dominican version of the fonts to
> > be modified to make ! change the lef-tail length automatically? I.e.:
> > sur(h!jV>)
>
> On Wed, Nov 30, 2016 at 3:07 PM, Br. Samuel Springuel <rpspring...@gmail.com
> > wrote:
>
> > If I understand what you want correctly, you're looking for something
> > which visually is similar to a left-right mirrored clivis except with a
> > plica instead of a punctum shape for the top (second) note.
> >
> > I think that will require introducing new glyphs with various lengths of
> > the left stem on the plica.  There are already two lengths: a short (used
> > when the plica is in a space) and a long (used when a plica is on a line).
> > However, I don't think we have any mechanism for selecting them manually.
> > Henry or Élie might know more about this.

I apologize for taking so long to respond, but I haven't had the "mind
time" to think about this properly.

Firstly, are you able to touch up the image (i.e., with an image editor)
to show what you would like to see?  Also, if you could send some images
from the original manuscript for both "surge" and "excelso," that might
help me understand what you want.

From what I see, you could use the "short queue" version on "surge" to
possibly get what you want, but the "short queue" version is *already*
used on "excelso."

You could alter the fonts, but that would change *all* the plica
figures, and that doesn't sound like that's what you want.

It sounds like some very specialized changes to Gregorio on a whole will
be required to produce what you want, meaning changes that may require
some deliberation, especially if they do not apply to non-Dominican
scores and/or newer Dominican scores.

Henry