* Brian wrote:

I am attempting a simple task of identifying structural breaks in a
single time series trend. There is a single dep var t=1994-2021, two
variables in X viz. constant and time. The following error message
comes up:

The variable X is read-only
 *** error in function SB_GUI, line 7
list X = !nelem(X) ? null : X

* Sven responded:

Brian, it looks like you're talking about or contributed package
StrucBreak, and furthermore it seems to me you might be using an
outdated version of it. Indeed, our changelog for the current version
0.91 contains the entry: "fix show-stopping problem in the GUI with
the X list".

What's your installed version of the package?

* And Brian replied:

Hi Sven, Version 2023c of Gretl. and StrucBreak 09.1

* Allin now says:

I just download the current StrucBreak 0.91 (dated 2021-07-20) and its
code contains no occurrence of the statement shown in the error Brian
reported, namely

  list X = !nelem(X) ? null : X

Brian, are you sure that's the version you're using? To verify, open
the gretl console and type

  include StrucBreak.gfn

You should see

  StrucBreak 0.91, 2021-07-20 (Riccardo "Jack" Lucchetti and Sven Schreiber)

Or alternatively, type

  pkg query StrucBreak

in which case you should see several lines of output, among which

  Package: StrucBreak 0.91 (2021-07-20)

Allin Cottrell