From: grow-boun...@ietf.org [grow-boun...@ietf.org] On Behalf Of Danny
McPherson [da...@tcb.net]
Sent: Thursday, March 26, 2009 11:19 AM
To: Christopher Morrow
Cc: grow@ietf.org
Subject: [GROW] RR reflection to clients

On Mar 26, 2009, at 12:09 PM, Christopher Morrow wrote:

> Today's WG meeting brought out some contentious discussion around this
> presentation. The summary for a portion of the discussion was that
> local optimizations in BGP mechanisms can often lead to system wide
> systemic issues. One comment was that a particular feature
> (advertise-own) ends up being used in 'internet' context where it's
> inappropriate. In this instance though, often the VPN providers are
> also running 'internet' as a VPN, to lower capex/opex and take
> advantage of their larger 'internet' platforms for smaller 'vpn'
> solutions.

So to clarify..  It's ACCEPT_OWN, and it's not what's
introducing the problem, it's "utilizing" it.

The issue I have *here* is the fact that a client (c)
advertises a prefix (p) to it's local RRs.  The RRs reflect
the route back to the client and the client is expected to
poison it based on the Originator ID matching the local
Router ID.

In RFC 1966 the RRs did not reflect the route back the client
because the client didn't know it was a client, and for
incremental deployment it was required that the RRs not reflect
it back or a routing information loop could occur.  RFC 2796
was updated and allowed an RR to reflect a route back to a
client and the onus was on the client to drop the update.

The problem is that if the client is advertising 100ks of
routes (which is perfectly reasonable for a peering edge
router) to the RRs, (100ks * num_rrs) are reflected back to
the client, and it now has to senselessly process and discard
all of those updates.

ACCEPT_OWN comes into the picture only because it employs
this fundamentally broken behavior.  IF ACCEPT_OWN was a
function of the RR, and the routes were only reflected back
to the client IF that community was presented, I'd be
perfectly fine with it.

-danny