On Wed, Oct 14, 2015 at 08:47:17PM +0000, heasley wrote:
> For debugging purposes, I'd perfer to see ALL protocols have a "cleartext"
> option - not for normal runtime, for debugging.  its darwinian, if someone
> chooses to always run cleartext.

This is actually a big deal with regards to streaming routing protocols.

It's been my unfortunate experience over the years that most BGP developers
have more than the usual familiarity with the implementation behaviors of
TCP.  Even *normal* TCP has ugly properties that negatively impact BGP.
Introduce another couple layers between the protocol PDUs and the final set
of transports and it's a royal pain to do anything about.

To give a simplified and common issue, when BGP peering sessions on
otherwise quiet links time out, you get to look at things like the TCP
windows to see if your PDUs ever made it out and were advertised on the wire
and acknowledged by the other side.  This often requires the sequencing data
from both sides to try to pin down the problems.

Now introduce the peculiarities of other encapsulations and their
interactions with the underlying timings of the protocol.  If I'm running
TLS, how do I know that it hasn't chosen to hold up a PDU for an extra
second or two in order to either have a full enough payload to make the
crypto library happy?

I realize that these peculiarities can be addressed in the long-run, but I
tend to see these issues as having negative consequences on the operational
stability of the underlying protocol.

> I do not care if your suggested text is added or not; the existing security
> section of the draft covers the subject for me.  Nor do I disagree that it
> could support TLS, just do it in a separate draft and move this one along.

I suspect if you examined the idea of TLS as another one of the recommended
transport security options in the context of the existing text, you'd be
fine with that too.

-- Jeff