Hi all,

Just picking this one to respond, as I think it may be the best
for moving the discussion along a bit.

On 14/10/15 21:35, Jeffrey Haas wrote:
> [Note that I do not speak for the authors, just as someone who works on
> software that contains an implementation of BMP.]
>
> On Wed, Oct 14, 2015 at 09:44:01AM -0700, Stephen Farrell wrote:
>> "This is an inherently insecure protocol for no particularly
>> good reason and mostly due to the lack of implementation of
>> basic security mechanisms (SSH, TLS) but also due to a lack
>> of customer/operator pressure to ensure those are present,
>> usable and interoperate, despite evidence that attacks on
>> the links over which this data will be sent are ongoing."
>>
>> I'd not be surprised if you preferred some other text:-)
>
> It's refreshingly honest,

Do we agree that the above is in fact the situation? If we do,
then I think the easiest way to handle my DISCUSS is to figure
out how best to phrase that.

I am not expecting that my DISCUSS will cause implementers to
suddenly see the light and realise how much risk the Internet faces
due to a lack of usable BGP security. But, I'd really like to
see us stop making that worse if we can and definitely stop with
pretending that there are real solutions when those are just not
going to be deployed. (Which is a way of making things worse - by
prolonging a damaging fiction.)

> but works from a slightly different perspective
> than what the implementors give a darn about.
>
> You will note that aside from saying that this works over TCP that the
> protocol doesn't even mention what *port* it should be working on by
> default.  Mostly, the protocol doesn't give a darn as long as we can get a
> reliable stream session between two devices.
>
> The protocol standardizes the message contents over this stream.
>
> The protocol by default suggests TCP.  But as overly flippantly noted in the
> security considerations, you can use something stronger if you desire either
> integrity or privacy.
>
> While I feel your particular pain and anger over the general state of
> things, my suggestion is we should work on clarifying the text in the above
> fashion: If you want a secured transport, you can use one.

Is that the case really? Has it been done in any real and interesting
networks? (For BMP or BGP) If so can you send me a pointer to a
description of what was done and (ideally) how well that worked?

> We can even
> recommend one.  Making anything other than stock TCP mandatory will result
> in implementor torches and pitchforks at this point because we have shipping
> code and customers use it. :-)

My DISCUSS is not asking that the security situation be fixed.
But only for truth-in-advertising.

That we are still at this point with BGP, and now apparently continuing
with more of the same approach for BMP, is sad, I hope we agree.

I'll leave it there for now, to see if the above is sufficient to
move the discussion along. But let me re-iterate - I am not expecting
that you'll "fix" BGP or BMP security, but I am after truth-
in-advertising in describing the level of insecurity of this
specification.

Cheers,
S.