Hi,

On Tue, Dec 19, 2017 at 08:40:46AM +0000, Nick Hilliard wrote:
> If you have the resourcing to deploy
> proper automation, including dynamic filtering and session management,
> then bilateral is better.

To emphasize some aspect of this for the non-operators on this list: the
technical bits of this are manageable.  Talking to 500 other ISPs that
are not responding to e-mail, do not have anyone in the same time zone,
generally lack understanding of BGP, etc. - this is what really costs,
and where a well-maintained route server really shines.

(And then, there's "poor BGP implementations that just do not scale
properly with 600+ peers on the same router"...  like, "most of them")

If there were only 10 other ISPs at the IXPs we connect to, we could
do without route servers :-)

Gert Doering
        -- NetMaster

Tel: +49 (0)89/32356-444           USt-IdNr.: DE813185279