My 2 cents

> From: Job Snijders

[...]
 > The AS_PATH attribute serves multiple functions: its length is used as a
 > tie-breaker in best path selection, and the contents of the AS_PATH
 > itself serves as an (mutable) track record on what administrative
 > domains the announcement passed through.

Good point.
I'm wondering if decoupling both would not be cleaner, and would avoid the
incentive to "tweak" the AS Path.
One option would be to keep the AS Path for loop detection, administrative
record, and policies.
Inter domain metric used for best path selection could be left for another
field/data/extension. Yet given the incentive to tweak such data, we could even
realize that since we can't trust it, we don't really need it. We could only
let the end user (originator) express some high level policy (nominal, backup1,
backup2) using well known communities. (which indeed may also be
removed/changed by transit AS, but the end user could see it and negotiate
transparency though a contract).

Best regards,
--Bruno

 > You and Martijn appear to argue that the 'best path selection' component
 > should not be fiddled with, which leaves me wondering whether we have
 > any other methods to implement a track record ala 'this path
 > announcement passed through RS AS XYZ' other than communities. Or are
 > you of the opinion that the lack of visibility is not a problem to begin
 > with?
 >
 > Respectfully,
 >
 > Job

falsifie. Merci.