Catching up on old threads...

It sends a GO_AWAY packet when the status is changed to IDLE. Do I have to
> release this channel or is it safe to reuse this channel? If I can reuse
> the channel, it looks like I no longer need to release the channel.

The channel should have been safe to reuse. When the channel is IDLE, it
should be in a very similar state to a newly-created channel.

On Thu, Aug 11, 2016 at 11:51 PM, Taehyun Park <gold.dest...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> I had to restore my own timer which releases a channel because auto-idle
> still caused the same problem. The grpc calls still didn't go through after
> a certain period so I guess releasing a channel is the only way if I don't
> want to use keepalive.

That's unfortunate. What delay did you use for auto-idle? It sounds like
you didn't enable OkHttp's keepalive, but that should really only help if
the RPCs take a long time before the response arrives.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/grpc-io/CA%2B4M1oPv4kaK-CepB4-xhrJCdfS50gi8vMaPpHyv2pm0G4vdCQ%40mail.gmail.com.