You get that exception because all backends failed to be connected to. I
expect this is a server deployment-approach problem. Does the service do a
rolling restart?

The only thing the client can do to avoid the error is use
stub.withWaitForReady(). But that implies you care more about reliability
than latency. I'd consider using it for this purpose to be a hack.