It is unlikely this is related to overloading the backends, unless some
monitoring system thinks the backends are broken and reboots/replaces them.
This is a network error, where packets can't be sent from your client to
the server. For example, if someone unplugged a network cable, this is the
sort of error you'd get. It could also mean internet/WAN connectivity has
been lost.