Rajan,
  Do you have retries enabled?  That would be your first line of defense.

On the server side, giving the server more resources  may help.  You could
directly use NettyServerBuilder for more fine grained control through
ChannelOptions (using *.withOptions()* method).  Specifically
options CONNECT_TIMEOUT_MILLIS and SO_BACKLOG.

Hope that helps,
  Larry